Children who are ill are asked to stay at home with their parents. Staff who are ill are also asked not to come to daycare. Symptoms of contagious illness may include:
- Fever over 38.3º C (101ºF).
- Infected eyes or skin.
- Any type of contagious or communicable disease such as flu, measles, mumps, rubella, or chicken pox.
- Unexplained diarrhea or loose stool combined with nausea, vomiting or abdominal cramps.
- An acute cold with fever, runny nose and eyes, a “croupy” cough or congested to the point that he/she has heavy breathing.
- If a child becomes sick at daycare, and the parent is unable to be reached, the person authorized to pick up in the case of an emergency will be called and asked to pick up the child.
- The staff will isolate the child from the other children and make him/her as comfortable as possible, but will not administer medication.
- If a child has been ill, they can be readmitted to daycare 24 hours after the symptoms have subsided.